Sunday, April 06, 2008

The Ruins (Smith, 2008)


I was impressed with Carter Smith's directorial debut, "The Ruins". The modern American horror film tends to go off into scientific explanations for monsters, zombies, vampires, etc. Smith didn't go down that road. He kept it simple. Four friends and a guide, a Mayan ruin in Mexico, and deadly vines. Basic, and basically horrific! By keeping the plot simple, the audience was able to focus on the unnerving quandary of the four main characters- run from their Mayan temple prison, and be shot, or stay and be invaded by carnivorous vines. I'm a gore and horror veteran, but even I had to turn away in disgust during some scenes (that's not a bad thing). Jonathan Tucker, Jena Malone, Shawn Ashmore, and Laura Ramsey did a great job of engaging the audience with their characters' dilemma. "The Ruins", could have been a campy run-of-the-mill horror flick, but to their credit, the main characters were interesting enough to keep that from happening. Kudos to Jena Malone (Donnie Darko), she was superb, as usual. I highly recommend this film!

3 Comments:

Blogger Joseph B. said...

You know, this got a couple of great reviews at Aint It Cool News from 2 guys who normally don't fall for this type of film. I almost checked it out today, but went to see Scorsese's Rolling Stones documentary instead. I'll give it a shot this week, though.

6:23 PM  
Blogger Marianne said...

Hey Gaubatz -
I dont have anything to say abt this movie but I am happy to see that you're so easy to find on the net. Love your profile stuff on this blog - its everything I remember abt you from years and years ago. Hope you're doing well. I'd love to catch up on your recent adventures if you'd like to chat sometime. youthmentor@gmail.com
- Marianne :)

11:52 PM  
Blogger Joseph B. said...

Finally checked this one out.... good stuff! I also had to turn away a couple times. I'm not sure how much more was included on the DVD than what was shown in theaters, but wow... it features some pretty gruesome limbs being severed.

And who is this Marienne chick? Are you in Dallas? Hey now...

1:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home