Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Jello!


Anyone who knows me knows that I can be a bit of a food snob. More specifically, I am a dessert snob. I love to bake. I have spent years testing and creating dessert recipes of all kinds. I am picky about my ingredients and I make everything (with the exception of phyllo dough) from scratch. I truly am a dessert snob.

So when I came across this cool looking Jello dessert on a message forum awhile back, I resisted the urge to try it. After all, it was made with Jello! I haven’t actually had a box of Jello in my kitchen for at least 5 years now. But I kept seeing the Jello thread pop back up and it looked so cool. Finally, I could stand it no more!

This past Saturday, I gave in. I went to the closest Kroger store and purchased 16 boxes of jello in various colors. This was enough to make two. I had to make one for friends and one for family. Thus, the great Jello experiment began. It wasn’t a really complicated dessert to make. It was certainly easier than sculpting Jabba the Hutt out of chocolate cake. However, it was almost as time consuming. It took a little over four hours for the entire process.

Of course, the jello needed to be refrigerated overnight. So I had to be patient and understand this was not a dessert for instant gratification. When I was finally able to un-mold it on Sunday afternoon, I was not disappointed! It was definitely a cool looking dessert. But how would it taste? I didn’t have to wait long to find out. I took it to the GURPS game for that night’s dessert and it was a success!

I will admit that I was pleasantly surprised. The combination of all of the different flavors was quite good. I think it helped that every other layer was mixed with vanilla yogurt. The yogurt supplied the slightest amount of tang and helped cut the sweetness of the Jello. So if you’re looking for an easy (although not quick) dessert that also looks impressive, this might be for you.


3 Comments:

Blogger Chris Allen Gaubatz said...

It tasted just as good as it looks! I'm fortunate enough to get to eat Carla's baking experiments on a weekly basis at our GURPS gatherings. I'm not just saying this because she's my cousin; her cakes and desserts are the best I've ever had (I have to make sure Mom doesn't read this comment). I've seen your portfolio, but I haven't seen the Jabba the Hut cake- REALLY cool!

7:00 AM  
Blogger mal said...

it is BEAUTIFUL! are you really supposed to eat it?

10:44 AM  
Anonymous cb said...

thats awesome I didnt know you were a desert snob or a baker either

10:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home