Sunday, September 10, 2006

House is Back!


I've never been big into tv shows. Oh, I'll watch re-runs of "Seinfeld" and "King of the Hill" if they happen to be on, but I don't plan my evening to catch any particular show. For instance, I love "The Sopranos", but I would just assume wait for the DVD's to come out than plan an evening to make sure I watch the latest episode. Throughout my life there is a short list of tv shows that I have absolutely, with no exceptions (save a death in the family, but even then I would have the show going on in the background at the family gathering) made sure that I was plopped down in front of the tube at the time the show started. The list goes something like this: GI Joe (every morning before school), Duck Tales (in 2nd and 3rd grade this was must-see-tv), "X-Files" (pre-Robert Patrick), and finally "House". That's it. That's not to say I won't catch Monday Night Football, Friday Night Fights, or any random MLB game, but "House" is the only show running that I just cannot miss! Hugh Laurie has the privilege of playing the best written character that you love to hate since, well, ever. The only downside to the show is that House is the show. There's nothing particularly wrong with the other characters, they just aren't integral to the show. Think of it this way: can you imagine "Seinfeld" without Kramer, Elaine, or George? In "House", any one (or all) of the other characters could be gone next week, and I could care less. So long as House has someone to demean, patronize, or show-off to, it doesn't matter to me who that someone is. I'm not suggesting the cast be changed, but maybe the writers could beef up some of the supporting cast with a little more depth. There's so little to criticize, and so much to praise about "House"! Now, if they'll only bring back X-Files with David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson, I would have two shows to watch a week. Is it wrong to dream?

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris Allen Gaubatz said...

By no means am I implying that the character development in "House MD" is weak. The characters in House have more depth than most shows out there, but if there is one area to nit-pick this would be it.

9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home