Friday, September 08, 2006

Great Movies Despite the Acting

I watched Terminator 2 yesterday for the first time in a while. I was reminded of how much I love that movie, despite Edward Furlong and his squeaky whining. There is so much to admire about T2, but there are parts of it that just make me shudder. Mostly the parts where Furlong is given a line longer than 5 words. Like that part in the car when Furlong's character is explaining to the Governator that he should say, "hasta la vista, baby". Shudder. I know that was written in, which leads me to another point: if you're a director of Cameron's caliber, why don't you give less slack (and lines) to actors that can have a detrimental impact on the enjoyment of your film? Imagine how great T2 would have been if Furlong was either: A- not in the movie, or B- given a whole lot less to say and do? I'll go ahead and admit something- I can't stand child actors in sci-fi/horror movies (with rare exception, like Linda Blair), unless they have a limited amount of lines and screen time. I'm sorry, but if you don't have Haley Joel Osment or Abigail Breslin on your cast then don't let the kids act! There, I've said it.


There are other great movies that were almost single handedly ruined by either bad acting or a mis-cast. I'm thinking "Silence of the Lambs", and Jodie Foster. Jodie Foster's great, but she sported the worst southern accent I have ever heard. Her accent grated on my nerves every time she spoke. They should have either dropped the accent or dropped Jodie. That part wasn't for her (didn't she get some award for that, too). Julianne Moore was a much better agent in the sequel. Which accent was worse- Jodie Foster in "Lambs", or Nicolas Cage in "Con Air". Consequently, I still have nightmares about the scene where Cage is yelling over and over in that gut-wrenching drawl, "give me the bunn-nay" (from Con Air). Ugh. How about that brat in Star Wars: Episode One? His "whooping" and Jar-Jar's "aunt Jamima" impression almost ruined a franchise I've loved since I was a tyke.


Conclusion: no more kids in sci-fi/ horror movies unless you run the idea by me, and no more crappy accents. Also, if there is ever to be another Star Wars movie, don't let George Lucas direct it. I know that's ridiculous, considering he owns the franchise, but maybe he has an influential friend or family member that can talk him out of directing ever again. Never again Georgie, not after casting the "brat" and Haydin Christensen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home